Alpha Release Socks Proxy!

We have some exciting news for remote.it users. We have an Alpha version of our new SOCKS proxy built into our new desktop and device package.

This opens up a world of possibilities for accessing IOT devices, NAS boxes, local lans and even network locating shifting.

Alpha usage is a manual configuration, and can be used in many different ways, but in this example I will show you how to set up a SOCKS proxy and launch it with a unique Chrome Browser for each SOCKS proxy you connect to.

For this example I will be setting up a docker package, but this will also work the same on any of the device packages remote.it supports. First run the remote.it app and press the (+) sign:

Then we will select Docker (or select what device package you want to try)
I will add a socks proxy and optionally remove the ssh:

Now I will start that docker (or you can install on your device) by copying the command and running it.

docker run -d -e R3_REGISTRATION_CODE="7A3E597E-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxx-54X633EC3E1F" --restart unless-stopped --pull always remoteit/remoteit-agent:latest

This should start up our device and it will show up in your device list in a minute or two.

If you made it this far, you are ready to configure the connection profile, Please see the next message.

2 Likes

Once you have added your device, you can now connect to it, but this will only give you a socks proxy endpoint. This may be sufficient if your using Firefox Containers since you can just plug this address in, but lets go one step further and make it super cool for Chrome.

Click on connection configuration:

The default launch type is likely close, but we will probably need the path to chrome on your machine, on windows I just look at the properties of the chrome link and grab the target

In my case it is: “C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”

So I copy that in place of the app in the launch command:

Now chrome will be launched with a separate network space and it will look like its coming from the SOCKS proxy device.

You should be able to access anything on that network as if you are on that network.

Please comment if you get it working or have questions. Feedback is welcome, let us know how it works for you.

2 Likes

Latest package is even better performance. Please check it out.

Here are instructions for Devices which do not have Docker like a Raspberry Pi
https://link.remote.it/getting-started/socks