Simple HTTP Redirect

Hi,

I’m looking to make an http server to connect to from a very low-level machine that cannot handle anything more than a simple http get request. (IE no browser, javascript, etc.). I set up my raspberry pi to be the server and it works fine through my desktop browser, but curl and the get from the low-level machine do not work.

It appears in the curl response that it needs javascript to work:

<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8"/>
    <link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico"/>
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1"/>
    <title>Remote.It Connection</title>
    <script defer="defer" src="/static/js/main.576bcb65.js"></script>
    <link href="/static/css/main.62f26f2e.css" rel="stylesheet">
    <script>window.remoteit = {"name":"mikepi","serviceName":"HTTP","password":false}</script>
</head>
<body>
<noscript>You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.</noscript>
<div id="root"></div>
</body>
</html>

Is there any way to simply re-route from remote.it to my raspberry pi without needing a more complex application that requires javascript

Are you saying you installed remote.it on another device and want to hit an HTTP server on a Raspberry Pi?
You may be looking for jump services. Network Services - Jump Box
If this is not the scenario, please clarify. Are you sure your webserver webpage doesn’t have javascript required? You may want to start with a simple static HTML file. This doesn’t have anything to do with Remote.It.
It would be better to understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish with this webpage and how it will be used.

Yes, remote.it is currently installed on my laptop and I have it set up to reach out to my raspberry pi on the local network.

Is it possible to set up the remote.it desktop app on the raspberry pi? If that is the case I think that would be preferable. Everything I’m seeing online seems to imply installing it not on the pi though. (It’s possible I’m just misunderstanding though).

As far as the file being served, it is just text, not even an html document. IE something like “Hello World”. I am overwriting the index.html file of an nginx server with regular text, so there shouldn’t be any javascript involved.

Yes, you can install the Remote.It desktop on a Raspberry Pi, however it is incompatible with the Device Package, so you will need to uninstall that first using

sudo apt purge remoteit

You can use a linux desktop installation package:

Or if you want to use the CLI and do not need to have the Desktop UI.

Documentation for the CLI can be found here:
https://link.remote.it/docs/cli/installation

Gotcha, I have it set up on the raspberry pi now, but I’m still having the issue with javascript.

From what I can tell it’s from the remote.it splash page that it sends you to before you get to the redirected page:

Is there a way to skip past this page without having to click continue? The device I am connecting from cannot do anything more than very minor operations. This device has < 200kb of ram and very little built in support for networking.

This feature is currently in Beta so it doesn’t fit everyone’s needs. However, a paid subscription with a Business account will disable that splash screen as long as there is no password set on the connection. Please use this feature with care since it is fully open to the internet and not private if someone were to get the url.

1 Like