Port device list correct but DT app wrong

If I login via web portal all 3 devices are listed and all is good. If I use DT app, only 1 device is listed and I can’t add missing devicces.

Please check the following:

• You have the latest version of the desktop application (Click your avatar > Settings > Auto update is toggled on)
  • You are signed in with the same email address account
  • You do not have any filters applied to the device list (There should NOT be a blue dot next to the filter icon in the top right section of the screen)
  • If you belong to an organization, that you are in the right organization context. See Organizations As Members
    If you still find that you have a difference between the two, please post a screenshot of the two different applications. Be sure to hide any personal information in the images such as email address and IP addresses if visible.

I have desktop 3.3.1. (Linux) There is no Auto Update.

Same old email

There IS a blue dot next to the filter icon on the Devices screen.

The only organization context is my account.

If you have the filter blue dot, then click open to see what filters are applied and remove them.

Your version of desktop is very old. You likely need to manually update it by installing a new version. See Remote.It Download Full List to get the right download and install it.

https://www.remote.it/download-list?products=desktop is:

Linux Debian
DesktopX86_64
CPU

Things are much better with the filter categories al "Clear"ed.

I’d still like to find the current version of the DTApp.

Thank you so much for your help.

I am only puzzled now by the purpose of the filter function. Why is it useful to make a Device disappear? Even more, why should a device disappear without a warning?

Now that I’m aware of the cryptic blue dot, I can recover when it happens again.

Thanks again!

And so now I can’t even login???

I get this message:

A verification code has been sent to. XXXX, please check your email then enter the verification code and update your password.

But no email with a verification code.

This is getting crazy!

You shouldn’t need to verify your account with Remote.It again once you have been verified. I will send you a message directly so that I can get a screenshot of the issue.

The filter function is primarily for users with large device lists who want to see them by device state such as offline so that they can fix an issue at the site or using the tags.

I’ve got a new booboo to toss in the hopper:

Using Linux Mint, I made a rather grievous mistake while trying to examine network settings on a remote device: (VTDT3). I accidentally clicked Network Settings->Wired_>Gear-Icon->IPV4->Addresses drop-down->Manual when I meant to do nothing. As a result, the IPaddress is unknown and the system does not respond to any remoteit accesses.

As if this was not enough, after about an hour Remoteit sent me a notificion that VTDT3 was back online.

Curious as to how this could be, I examined the remoteit dahboard to find that my main desktop (m75s1) had gone offline and VTDT3 showed as online! On further investigation, what remoteit called VTDT3 was actually the m75s1 computer.

I have a friend resetting the VTDT3 IP address to auto and rebooting the VTDT3 system.

From an IP address point of view, all will be as it was before the error.

Will remoteit return to it prior state? That is, once VTDT3 is back in place will remoteir return to the configuration that contained VTDT3?

Or, should I just toss it all and sestart fresh?

It is hard to say without knowing what and how you installed on the 2 computers, and how you configured the 2. If you installed them manually on each computer/device and just added services with local ports, then all should be good. Remote.It doesn’t need to know the local IP address in the configuration. It will figure it out on it’s own.
If you can take a screenshot of the configuration of the two devices with one of the services service configuration showing such as SSH, then I can help you. You can send me a private message. Once we determine that there is nothing personally identifiable and the solution, we can post it back here.

OK, thanks.

For whatever reason, remoteit has decided that my desktop (m75s1) is VTDT3. VTDT3 no longer exists except as a label for m75s1.

All the remoteit services that were installed (if that’s correct) on VTDT3 are now trying to run on the physical m75s1. Nothing connects to the physical VTDT3.

Whereis the table or other data structure that assciates the device label with actual device properties, e.g., MAC address? Indirect device properties like ethernet address?

Can I just kill remoteit and start over?

This is very frustrating. Remoteit seems very fragile.

Your documentation is very poor. When I run the tool to restore a device, I get: “Please uninstall and remove Remote.It CLI before installing Device Package.”

Not only did I never install CLI there is no clue given as to HOW TO UNINSTALL IT.

In the DT app, the device ‘m75s1’ has the correct internal and external IP addresses. Yet remoteit reports ‘Device Offline.’ as I’m typing on it. Ping’s and logins from other hosts work fine.

So, how do I remove remoteit CLI? Maybe that will allow me to restore m75s1 to online status.

You must have installed the desktop or CLI to get the message.
Instructions for desktop or CLI uninstall are located further down on the page:
https://link.remote.it/support/uninstall

This also could be if you used the Remote.It Raspberry Pi image which comes with the headless desktop application. The article Restore A Device covers both scenarios.

So how do I uninstall it?

n.b., I never installed anything other than DT app.

I am going to separate this forum post because it is a different topic than the original
Instructions for desktop or CLI uninstall are located further down on the page:
https://link.remote.it/support/uninstall

This also could be if you used the Remote.It Raspberry Pi image which comes with the headless desktop application. The article Restore A Device covers both scenarios.

I want to thank ou for your patience over the past 4-6 weeks. Except for the ‘blue dot’ issue, all the misbehvaiot and dysfunction I experienced was due to transitioning to a fiber optic ISP hookup.

The transition is now largely complete and, as you expected, all nodes are fully operational. This is true even though I no longer use Starlink and CGNAT! In fact, I think a feature of Remote.It is its ‘take it or leave it’ functionality which means that it works with and without the presence of CGNAT protocol in a node.

Tom Brightman

Great to hear! We like to think of it as set it and forget it. Meaning once you set up, you shouldn’t need to touch it again. We are agnostic to the type of internet connection and should restore connectivity easily when roaming or if you have flaky or sporadic connectivity.