Connections don't stay up, constantly have to retry/reconnect

I have remote.it configured in a current install of windows 11 on arm that is installed on a virtual machine operated by vmware fusion player running on an imac using the current macos ventura 13.4. In the windows 11 on arm setup i have remote desktop listener enabled. I have the virtual machine network connection configured bridge mode vs shared [ / host interface nat ] mode.

On the macos i open a terminal and run “caffeinate -is” optionally with “-t <seconds until exit vs run until ctrl+c terminated>” in order to make the macos system not shut off after idle time and extended idle time periods. In the windows vm setup the power settings have no sleep enabled.

I can use android “[ microsoft ] rd [ remote desktop ] client” to connect directly to this setup and it works fine. With the remote.it client when i establish a connection it works fine for appx 10-15secs that freezes up followed by a reconnection progress circle that succeeds after 5-10secs and then repeats this cycle again and again.

Any insights on some remote.it configuration setting i need to apply to make this work reliably?

Also i’m finding that every time i hit “close connection” in remote.it app followed by “connect” and “launch” to start again from scratch it configures a new rd client entry . So eventually you have to come along and delete them all over time otherwise they clutter up the connection view where you have fixed connection entries. Is that expected?

Hello,
The RDP issue may be a matter of resources on the device either on the target (Mac with Windows VM) or on the Android device. Can you make the connection on the same LAN using your android device on the same LAN and using the local IP address? This will help rule out that it is a problem of resources on the target side (Mac with Windows VM) or the Android device. If this doesn’t work then some troubleshooting will need to happen to get that working. The behavior you are reporting sounds like the connection is dropping. You can also try the connection using a different computer with the Remote.It Desktop application to see if you have the same behavior. If so, you can send the logs to support@remote.it. You can get the desktop logs by clicking on your avatar > Settings > Advanced > Show Support files. This should open a couple of folders. Please send all the files.
When you click close connection, the application will attempt to re-connect if you have your client application which is trying to use the connection still open. To stop this, close your client application before trying to close the connection.

1 Like

Hi @bstrech thanks for the follow up on this. I tried from a different client, a windows desktop using the browser story for establishing reverse proxy connection, and i did not experience the same result.

I went back to my android tablet [ oneplus pad ] and retried using the browser story for establishing reverse proxy story and i did not experience the disconnect/reconnecting cycles using that and could repro the issue going back to using the android play store remote.it app for the reverse proxy connection.

I tried repro’ng these results my other android tablet [ samsung galaxy tab s7 ] and didn’t see the same result using android play store remote.it app for the reverse proxy connection. Not sure why the difference here since both tablets are on android 13 and oneplus pad has a mediatek dimensity 9000 SoC and 8gb ram that is supposed to be faster than the samsung galaxy tab s7 that has qualcomm 865+ SoC and only 6gb ram.

q1. Any differences other than the UX [ user experience ] that are worth knowing about when it comes to using the browser to setup reverse proxy connection on client vs the native store remote.it app option?

q2. Any thoughts on how remote.it solution can be expected to be technically superior, more performant or user friendly than alternatives like twingate?

I assume there has to be some difference in the tablets themselves in either network connection or processor or even the RDP client.
You can use the browser to setup your connection and it is similar to the app for connection. So if you have a better experience using the browser, I would suggest you use it.
The difference with the Remote.It solution vs other solutions:

• We are not a VPN or a port forwarding solution so you do not have open ports on the internet.
  • VPNs give a user access to the whole subnet even if the user is not authorized for all devices (I understand that the user would need to have username and passwords for the resources, but the attack surface is there)
  • Our solution works in a CGNAT environment where you may not have a public IP address (such as cellular or Starlink) or your public IP address changes
  • Remote.It can support multiple connections to multiple network targets without worrying about split tunnel VPNs or subnet collision and without the extra overhead of a VPN as well.
  • No IP allow lists to manage if you want to allow users to connect and try to close the IP and port from being sniffed
  • Access is granted via email address and the user doesn’t need to be technical to use it.

Basically Remote.It makes it easy to manage your network resources in one place. Feel free to review Remote.It Benefits and our case studies

1 Like

Hi @bstrech thanks for the follow up clarifications and additional details that helps.

1 Like