Raspberry stays offline

I have a Raspberry Pi connected via wifi to a router. When I connect my laptop on the same wifi network I can successfully access the Pi through SSH via the Remote.it proxy. However, when I try to connect to the Pi from outside, Remote.it shows the device as offline (the Pi is still connecred to router as usual) The logs show that the device went online for about 10 minutes, then when offline, and again went online about 8 hours later for 10 minutes then offline again… Since the Pi is physically very far away from me (kilometers), I cannot access the Pi any other way. Does anyone know why the device goes offline?

Here is last logs:
19 Jul 2024, 16:57 RaspPi3 - SSH went offline
19 Jul 2024, 16:57 RaspPi3 went offline
19 Jul 2024, 16:50 RaspPi3 - SSH went online
19 Jul 2024, 16:50 RaspPi3 went online
19 Jul 2024, 09:06 RaspPi3 went offline
19 Jul 2024, 09:06 RaspPi3 - SSH went offline
19 Jul 2024, 08:56 RaspPi3 - SSH went online
19 Jul 2024, 08:56 RaspPi3 went online

That is strange, Not sure which endpoint but both your endpoints are offline, the last was heard of on the 19th as it shows on your logs.

If it is offline I would assume the power or the internet is down at that location.

I want to clarify what you are seeing.
You have Pi connected to a router which is offline in Remote.It.
However, when you bring a laptop to the location of the Pi and join the same wifi network you can connect to it. (You say you can do so via Remote.It proxy, but this is not possible if the device is offline). So was this when the Pi was previously online?
Another question I have is what did you install on your Pi? Did you run the one line install OR did you install the CLI or desktop?
I see that this Pi is also on a cellular connection to the internet. Can you confirm that the cellular connection is working? For example that you have a good signal and that your modem for internet is working well? Is the modem on the router?
You could try installing remote.it directly on the router if it is an openWRT router to add another way to reach the site to debug.
If there is someone at the site who can join the wifi, they could see if they can surf the internet to confirm an outage and/or if the Pi is having a power issue.

Thank you for the response! Unfortunately, I cannot physically access the Pi at the moment because it is in a remote location. But there is another device (also Pi) connected to the same router, and it is accessible through the internet, so I am sure the router is reachable. To clarify: When I was at the site where the Pi is located, I used my laptop to access the Pi via SSH using the proxy IP and port given by Remote.it, i.e. I connect to the Pi on Remote.it desktop app, and then use SSH to log into the Pi to run scripts. The laptop is using wifi to connect to the same wifi router at the location that the Pi is connected to. This was working at the location, then, when I got home (60 km away), Remote.it shows the device as “offline”. I know the Pi was connecting to the internet because it was sending files to a web server for a few days after I left it at the remote location.
More technical details: There is a “cellular modem” near a cellular antenna, and a “wifi router” about 300 m away connected to the cellular modem via fiber cable at the location where the Pi is. The Pi is right next to the wifi router and is connecting to the wifi router via wifi. I don’t know if the fact that I installed remote.it (one-line install) when the Pi was on different router and network, make any difference… Maybe I should reinstall remote.it when I do get to the Pi again… Any ideas will be appreciated.

Hi. Following up from my previous post, I just looked at the latest logs, and Remote.it reported the following:
Jul 27, 2024, 03:40 PM RaspPi3 - SSH went offline
Jul 27, 2024, 03:40 PM RaspPi3 went offline
Jul 27, 2024, 02:59 PM RaspPi3 - SSH went online
Jul 27, 2024, 02:59 PM RaspPi3 went online
Which seems to show that the Pi is recently accessible, but only for short moments… I am wondering how this is possible if it is “offline”?

You could make a SSH jump service from the functioning Raspberry Pi to the other RPi to be able to reach the logs.
This is the article on Jump Services Network Services - Jump Box
Once you can SSH to the RPi, then you can look at the syslogs.
Also you can look at running the following commands:

sudo cat /etc/remoteit/config.json

Do not send any personal data in this thread

also look at the following:

ps |grep remoteit

OK, so I visited the Pi at it’s location, and connected the Pi to the router via LAN instead of the built-in WiFi (someone suggested that the WiFi connection of the Pi is unstable). Now the Remote.it connection seems stable. Thank you @bstrech, your link to the Jump Services made me realize that an unstable WiFi connection may be the cause.

1 Like