ReadyNAS Set Up

The easiest way to get access to your ReadyNAS is to setup a Jump Box and setup a Jump Service to your ReadyNAS. This avoids installing any software on your NAS.

To get started, you will need to have a computer or device like a router that you can install remote.it on that is on the same LAN as the ReadyNAS. This computer/device would need to be on 24/7 and not in hibernate mode which will act as a jump box. (You will need the LAN address of the ReadyNAS to set up each port you need as a service on the jump box - If you are using only the file server, then you would add the SMB/CIFS service to port 445 or whatever port is needed for file share) See our document on Jump Services https://link.remote.it/support/jumpbox (see screenshot that shows the Add Service Screen).

If you do not have a suitable device, you can use an openWRT router such as a GLiNet travel router, such as a Mango GLiNet Router which you can get from Amazon and other online vendors. Make sure that you turn off auto-update though, since OS updates on these routers will overwrite the system and you will lose the remote.it installed software.

If you are using a Windows PC to access the NAS, Windows Explorer with mapped drives doesn’t allow for a port override. We have found that Owlfiles works the best to allow access to NAS files.

This works great with the remote desktop to share files via windows networking IE SMB/Samba. Supports any port for windows networking unlike file explorer.

Its in the windows app store for free:

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try it. Have a nice weekend, Laszlo

1 Like

Hi,
I already installed remote.it on a local Windows PC and added the SMB/CIFS service of the Netgear NAS. Can you please advise as to how I shall access the NAS files remotely?
I installed remote.it on the remote PC as well to access the NAS, however, if i try to click on Launch after selecting Copy Endpoint / Copy Host / Copy Port / Copy Samba URL, I get a message that says that I don’t have an app to open the smb link.
I also installed the Owlfiles on the host PC and linked the NAS files. Do I have to do any configuration to link same with the remote.it app?

Please refer to this article on how to configure your connection defaults to launch specific programs

https://link.remote.it/support/connection-settings