Won't install service on Windows 10 (2004)

The app, and service, has worked in the past on Windows 10. It’s worked quite well. Now I can’t get the service to start. If I try a reinstall (not deleting my device) it says
" We need to install or update our service
in order to maintain background connections.".
I tell it to install and it pops 2 UAC prompts to allow “execute.bat” to run from a temp folder (%appdata%\local\temp{GUID}\execute.bat) ({GUID} is the actual GUID not the literal {GUID}). Then it just returns to the dialog to say that the service needs to be intalled.
If I try to start the it.remote.cli service manually, the event log shows
"The it.remote.cli service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Any clues as to the issue and perhaps a solution or at least a pointer.
I can’t think where to look or what to try next.

Could you please open a command prompt (run “cmd”) and then execute the following command and tell me what it says?

dir "\Program Files\remoteit-bin"

Also:
Open an administrator command prompt, then:

cd “\Program Files\remoteit-bin”
remoteit.exe agent restart

What happens? Does it help?

dir “\Program Files\remoteit-bin”

Directory of C:\Program Files\remoteit-bin

2020-10-04 16:53 .
2020-10-04 16:53 …
2020-10-04 16:53 8,850,680 remoteit.exe
1 File(s) 8,850,680 bytes

cd “\Program Files\remoteit-bin”
remoteit.exe agent restart

Just returns to the prompt.
If I run remote.it application again, I still get the
" We need to install or update our service
in order to maintain background connections."
message.
I checked the it.remote.cli service again and it’s still not running.
If I manually try to start it, I still get the Error 1053 message:
"The it.remote.cli service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

This one’s a bit of a puzzler.

OK, are you running any anti-virus/anti-malware package?
I don’t think so, but are you trying to install somewhere other than on the C: drive?

Thanks,

Gary

Same even with Anti-virus/Anti-Malware disabled.
Standard installer so it defaults to C:.

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the application. Let me know if you still have an issue.

Been there. Done that.
Even tried running installer as Administrator. Always the same.
(See original post)

OK. Just checking. …

Yep I get it. Ya gotta ask.
I’ve been doing this stuff for decades so I don’t usually ask unless it’s a stumper (or I’m having an off day and completely missed something :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Did remote support and helpdesk for a few years so I know you gotta ask ALL the questions otherwise you don’t get the right answers (or even all the information).

One of my mottos: Give me all the information you have. I can ignore or throw out what I don’t need but I can’t create what isn’t given to me.

I got this response from another user. I have not had the opportunity to check it since, working from home, I do not have access to a domain network. But I figure it is worth a try to tell you what he did in the chance you can follow it.

Well, I’ve checked Windows firewall setings, it seems remote.it installs firewall rule for domain network only, regardless of current network type, when it detects that the computer is under domain. Yes it is under domain but right now it is connected to a private network! (I am at my working laptop from home). Adding rule for a private network helped.

Handy and along the correct lines but, sadly, not relevant in my case.
I had checked that even though it was an outlying possibility.

Screenshot 2020-10-07 193727

Please send an e-mail to support@remote.it. We will follow up with you directly to try to figure out what is going on.

Same issue, crashes the system when I install the service as instructed. Reinstalling doesn’t work. Uninstalled until the next version I guess .

By “crashes the system” do you mean:

• Windows reboots
  • Windows locks up
  • Blue screen of death
  • Application disappears and can’t be relaunched
  • something else?

Running latest win10 20H2, remote.it 2.8.2.

The install service button appears, can’t finish installing and get past this installation request.

I did see some script error during some runs (can’t see it as it disappeared too fast and goes back to the install service button .

System crash (BSOD) after a few mins. (Nothing is running). Uninstall system is ok (at least haven’t seen the sudden BSOD)

As of 2.9.3, issue now resolved. The service now works. Tests ok several reboots over several days and even installs on another workstation where it also wouldn’t start the service (so it was uninstalled).
FYI Windows on these workstations is now 20H2 (19042.685).
Just upgraded to 2.9.4 and all seems well.
:ok_hand: :v: :+1: :clap: :crossed_fingers: